Senior football in Limerick has an interesting history with the club undergoing various changes in name and identity, though whatever flag has flown over the different clubhouses they have always maintained one single presence in the League of Ireland since the original club was founded in 1937.
Limerick were admitted to the League in the summer of 1937 and played their first game against Shamrock Rovers in the Dublin City Cup in August of that year. They finished their first league season in tenth place and also won their first senior trophy that year, lifting the Munster Senior Cup when they beat Cork United 1-0 in the final. In 1941 the club's colours changed from red to blue when Waterford dropped out of the league and Limerick bought their jerseys.
Limerick's first national title came in 1953 when they won the League of Ireland Shield, a forerunner of the League Cup, and their first League title followed in 1959/60 when they beat Cork Celtic to the top spot. The club's first FAI Cup win arrived in 1971 when they defeated Drogheda 3-0 in a replay after the original game had finished scoreless. Later that decade, in October 1975, Limerick won their first ever League Cup, beating Sligo Rovers 4-0 at the Markets Field in a game that was marred by crowd violence.
The club changed its name to Limerick United in 1977 and Eoin Hand took over as manager at the start of the 1979/80 season, by the end of which Limerick had claimed their second league title. They were subsequently drawn against Real Madrid in the European Cup and were beaten 2-1 at Lansdowne Road and 5-1 in the second leg at the Bernabeu. They finished runners up in the league in 1980/81 and so qualified for the 1981/82 UEFA Cup in which they played English side Southampton. They lost 3-0 to the Saints at the Markets Field and then drew 1-1 at the Dell, but they ended another successful season by beating Bohemians in the FAI Cup final.
In 1983/84 Pat Grace took up ownership of the club and changed its name to Limerick City. The club colours were also altered to green and yellow and the following year they moved away from the Markets Field and into Rathbane. Grace quit the club in 1989 at which point the name reverted to Limerick FC while blue & white were reinstated as official club colours. In 1990/91 the club suffered their first relegation, though the arrival of Sam Allardyce as manager ensured an immediate return to the Premier Division at the end of 1991/92. Allardyce stayed for just that one season and in 1994 the club were relegated once more.
There followed a prolonged period of decline with the club sharing the home ground of Pike Rovers in 2000/01. There was a League Cup victory in 2001/02 but in December 2006 the club failed to get a license for the 2007 season. Other parties were encouraged by the FAI to fill the void and a new consortium called Soccer Limerick applied for and got a First Division license for the new season. This new club played under name Limerick 37 until 2009 when the name reverted, for the third time, to Limerick FC. Under manager Pat Scully, Limerick won the First Division title in 2012 and returned to Premier Division football under Scully's replacement, Stuart Taylor, in 2013.
First Division Champions: Three times
1991/92, 2012, 2016
FAI Cup Winners: Twice
League Cup Winners: Three times
1975/76, 1992/93, 2001/02
If you spot incorrect info, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Six Results
Limerick FC scores first